Monday, June 13, 2011

SPF (Spray, Play, and be Free of harsh chemicals and God's ray of light!!)

Sun Protection - Oh, let me count the ways!

Spray, Lotion, Oil, Oil-Free, Stick, Wipes, Powder, Mineral, Moisturizing, Tinted, Zinc (remember when this was the only option and it came in fun colors!), Kids, Baby, Sport, Sensitive Skin, Acne-Fighting, Anti-Aging, Unscented, Lightly Scented, Clear, Biodegradable, Organic...where do you start!!!!

I am officially going on the 4th week of summer and I have already been through about 30 bottles of spray sunscreen - which I thought was a brilliant idea for impatient kids!!! Conclusion - burnt free but will a little nice tan for us all! However, I am not sure if the bottles I grab off of the Target shelf are the best, but it is the quickest at hands reach when I have the little guys with me on a short leash!

But, isn't a little Vitamin D good for us? And, a little glow!!

There are so many brands to choose from! Neutrogena, Aveeno, Blue Lizard, Coppertone, California Baby; to name a few off the store shelf. Then, there are brands, such as, SkinMedica, Kate Somerville, La Roche-Posay, Elta-MD, Obagi, Rodan and Fields that include about 10 additional reasons why we should buy it along with the sun protection it provides. (Don't get me wrong - I buy into all these promises and my little wallet purchases them from my local dermatologist!)

And, even better, I just found one product by Coola that is called "Citrus Mimosa Natural Mineral Sunblock". If only it infused a little Champagne into our skin!!!

Then, there are the questions of what number SPF (is SPF 98 just as effective as 50), use nothing less that SPF 35 on your face, UVA/UVB, are zinc and titanium minerals the only ingredients we should be looking for, is it waterproof or water resistant, is it necessary to reapply after every hour (or so), do the SPF shirts really work, and finally, how early should you apply before exposing yourself to the world's largest and brightest star?

Lately, I have been hearing about some hazardous chemicals (oxybenzone and Vitamin A) in sunscreens that are considered to be a potential hormone disruptor. So, should we be using Organic sun protection? Or, should we all just go back to old school ways and always wear a hat and shirt and stay under an umbrella? But, that's no fun! It has also come to my attention that sprays and powders are potentially harmful (good to know, now that I have been through approximately 30 spray bottles in 3 weeks).

So, what are the answers to these questions? What are the safest products to protect my sweet little children and myself? And, in the process what is going to make me look younger?!?!

This, I know, is not the most medically efficient post on sun protection; I am not claiming to be a doctor, just raising some questions on this subject that we all ask ourselves!! I am simply a mother wanting to get a little more educated about this ever changing topic!!

Please let me know what you think and what you believe are your favorite sunscreens or sun prevention methods out there for kids and women during this fun yet blazing hot time of year!!!

XOXO,

Dixie Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment